Located in Eastern Asia, Japan is an island country. There are over 6,000 islands that make up the country of Japan. The capital city of Tokyo is also the biggest city.
There is no official language of Japan. Instead, several dialects of Japanese are spoken. While Japanese is the most commonly spoken language, many people are bilingual and often speak English, as it is used in the business world.
- The school system in Japan is one of the highest rated in the world. Almost all children attend school through post secondary education.
- Sumo is considered the nation’s sport. This style of wrestling is popular throughout Asia. Other forms of martial arts such as karate, judo and aikido are very popular as well.
- Japan is a leading nation in scientific research. Some of the most important contributions to the electronics, medical and auto industry have come from Japan.
- The ‘haiku,’ a form of Japanese poetry, comprises of only three lines and seventeen syllables.
- Japanese eat with chopsticks called ‘hashi’ and it is customary to slurp while eating. This symbolizes that they are enjoying their food.
- Tokyo will host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games, making it the first Asian city to host twice.
- The Japanese names for Japan are Nippon and Nihon, which are translated as “Land of the Rising Sun”.
- The highest mountain in Japan is Mount Fuji which is officially classified as an active volcano, but hasn’t erupted since 1707. It is also called Fuji-san and is considered a sacred mountain by the people of Japan.
- Since the 1960s, Japan has consistently ranked among the top three countries with the highest volume of car manufacturing. Currently, it ranks at third place.