Russia, or The Russian Federation, is the largest country, by area, in the world. In fact, Russia covers over one-eighth of the world’s land area. Because of its size, there are many different environments and climates within the one country.
Russian is the official state language of Russia. However, throughout the vast country, there are over 100 different languages spoken among the over 160 different ethnic groups. Other common languages spoken include Tatar and Ukrainian.
- Russia is the world’s most expansive country, with a 17 million square kilometers of land, occupying one full seventh of Earth’s total area. There are 11 time zones in Russia.
- The famous ‘Golden Ring’ of cities to the northeast of Moscow is the ancient heart of Russia. It features whitewashed cities that contain famed, onion-domed churches which fit the stereotypical mental image of what medieval Russia was like.
- Russia contains both the Urals which are the oldest mountain range in the world, and lake Baikal, the world’s deepest lake and the largest reservoir of fresh water.
- The busiest McDonald’s in the world, with over 700 seats, is in Russia. On opening day it served more than 30,000 people.
- Russia is home to the longest railway in the world, called the Trans-Siberian Railway. This railway spans almost the entire way across the country and a journey across the whole line would take over 152 hours.
- Russia is the only country with 12 seas on its territory.
- Russia is the second largest oil producing nation in the world, second to Saudi Arabia. Over nine million barrels of oil per day were produced in Russia in 2012.