The United States of America, or USA, is the third largest country in both area and population, with 320 million people. The country is located in North America, between Canada and Mexico with the Atlantic Ocean on the East Coast and the Pacific Coast on the West Coast.
- The US has the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world, based on a currency called the ‘dollar’.
- While the United States has no official language, American English is the de facto national language. The next most common language spoken in the country is Spanish, which is spoken by just over 10 percent of the population.
- The American one-dollar bill has many features that can be missed if one does not look carefully. There is an owl within a shield to the upper left of the number 1, and a spider in the upper right corner of the front side of the bill.
- Fortune cookies are not an imported tradition. Charles Jung invented them in America in 1918.
- Mt. McKinley is highest point in North America and Death Valley is the lowest. These are both in the USA.
- The first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong, was from the United States.
- In the United States, many sports are popular—some of the biggest are American football, basketball, baseball and hockey.
- More tornados occur in the United States than any other location in the world. The majority of these are in an area called “Tornado Alley”—in the Midwest region of the country.